OT - Charlie update and stupid Attendance meeting

steffihope
on 5/24/11 4:17 am - Philadelphia, PA
So, first and foremost - thank you all for the prayers of healing and strength for my step-dad - who, although my dad is alive and well, and I do talk with him, Charlie is a father to me as well.  He is most definitely the kids Zayda *Thanks Beth*.  And is always here!

Spoke to the doctor this morning.  He said the following things to me : Charlie is moving relatively well.  He still has some left facial drooping.  He was going to go for an MRI, and ultrasound of his neck and an EKG of his heart.  He will be in the ICU for 24 hours, or the step-down ICU for that period of time for precautionary measures.  Then he will head to the stroke floor for some rehab if all is ok. 

The doctor seemed to think that he was doing quite well and while he didn't see him last night was not concerned regarding the confusion he had.  He did not have it this morning.  I just spoke to Sheila - Charlie's new wife of one year, and she is in good spirits.  She was a wreck last night having no idea where she was or what she doing.  She said that he is still slurring and does sound better than he did yestersday.  I am going to head there after I get home and get the kids.  I am taking all three of them.  The older two are fine, It is Emily that they will have a problem with - but for Charlies recovery SHE is the one he needs to see.  So, I will tell her to grow a few feet and act mature.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry - I am back now!

So - as for my Dickhead principal - sorry if that offended anyone!  At yesterday's meeting he told me that my attendance will be in my file for 18 months and that any additional attendance issues might lead to suspensions and or termination.  I asked him what else I could do, with a child with bi=polar disorder and psychiatric episodes, what does he expect.  He stated that personal days could have been used for that.  I of course was annoyed and said, seriously?  She is sick, isn't that what sick days are for.  He had no answer.  I then said that I had gone to him to ask what to do about taking time for the blood work and HE is the one who said I should take the day.  He didn't respond to that.  Finally, He started on some bull**** about if this was private industry....yadda yadda yadda, I stated that in fact, this was NOT private industry.  He then went on to talk about how our days off affect our students, THAT is where I lost it - I started to cry, through my frustrated tears, I reminded him that, "I have happy students, happy parents and our scores are phenomenal.  Getting in trouble for this is bull****!"  You know what - he had NOTHING to say to that.  I said to him that I do my job, I do it well and I have NEVER had any problem with my teaching.  He just sat there, let me rant - knew that I was right and then stated that that is the stance of the disctrict.  If everyone in the district took their 10 sick days it would be awful.  Seriously?!?!  Do I LOOK like the others in the district?  And again, if it affected my students, then he would have a leg to stand on.  UGH!  I was livid.  And then, to spend the evening in the hospital til 2 AM only to know that I have NO choice but to be in school while my dad is in ICU, Was about to bite someones head off this morning.  Can't imagine that I was at all effective teaching today.  But really?  So long as the babysitter shows up for work, we are all good?  Are you effing kidding me?!?!  

I so wanted to walk into his office this morning, telling him about Charlie and how effective I am going to be - but i took the high road, *****ed to my colleagues, wrote about it here - and have successfully ignored him!  So here I am - the kids are awesome, I told them about my night.  They have been sweet and cooperative.  There is not a lot of learning going on by way of math, but there is a few life lessons going on.  I guess THAT is a positive right???

I am pretty sure I will be calling the union to see what repercusions I have as a parent of a mentally disabled child and what I have to do to be sure that in the future, my time off for her does NOT negatively affect me.  I will also be talking with the psychiatrist to see if he has any suggestions.

That is my story - Thank you again for your thoughts and prayers.  Keep them up and I will continue to post!
(deactivated member)
on 5/24/11 4:39 am
I love you ...That is all! 
Cherish F.
on 5/24/11 5:12 am - Philadelphia, PA
Steffi -
1. ((hugs))
2. I would most definitley call your union rep. If you have the time allotted to you, he should have no leg to stand on. And perhaps a greivance should be filed for his calling you in at all.
3. Our company (not union) specifically states that sick time can/should be used to care for a child or spouse. He's crazy.
4. Love ya, keep your chin up, and so glad to see that there is progress for Charlie.
~ Cherish
 Cherish
Consult Weight/ Surgery Weight/Current Weight/  Goal Weight, Reached 4/7/11!!
     294                     286.5                     165.5                     164

Full abdominoplasty & Breast Reduction/Lift - 4/9/12!

Even miracles take a little time. ~ Cinderella

Nicole0216
on 5/24/11 7:12 am - Lancaster, PA
so sorry. I hate it when any job tells you that you have a benefit and then punishes you for using it. would be better not to offer it at all
gmom62
on 5/24/11 8:36 am - Clifton Heights, PA
MAWH, MAWH,  TO YOU!

Love you.

bvohl
on 5/24/11 10:32 am
Steffi,

I HATE ADMINISTRATORS!!!! It is sooo easy for them to criticize and find wrong without giving credit for what you do RIGHT! F*** Him!!! Definitely go see PFT Rep, I hope your union is stronger than mine!!! That is a whole other story....

Glad to hear that things with Charlie are looking up. Did I see a post of FB about your FIL also being in the hospital?? Boy, you do have your hands full!!

Keep us updated!

Hugs and positive thoughts to you and your family!!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Lisa H.
on 5/24/11 11:07 am - Whitehall, PA
 Hope things with Charlie and your FIL get better.  

HUGS to you for dealing with so much at once.  

LOVE YOU!

My tracker

hers 

Patricia R.
on 5/24/11 11:13 am - Perry, MI
Steffi,
You can apply for FMLA, the Family Medical Leave Act.  It requires downloading the forms from the Internet, and having your child's doctor verify that she has a condition that requires intermittent, not consecutive, time off.  I used it a few years, but did not qualify for it some years.  I used to work with a woman whose daughter had a heart condition, which required her to take time off intermittently, and she had it on file.  It protects you from disciplinary action for absences for your daughter.  After the doctor fills out his/her part, you send it to some office at 440 N. Broad, and they will let you know if it is approved.  It is only good for a 12 week period, I think, but it is worth a shot.  Might as well get it started for next school year.  Google Family Medical Leave Act, and look for the application.  It is for family, as well as your own, medical concerns.  I used it because I get chronic asthma/sinus allergy attacks.  Also, the school district allows illness in the family leave, which is half-pay, but does not count against your own sick leave.  Problem is, without the FMLA form on file, they can discipline you for that too.  I had several 204s because of my chronic health issues, and had to go to meetings with the regional superintendent with the union rep with me. 

Good luck.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

steffihope
on 5/24/11 2:38 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Thank you!!!!!  That is EXACTLY what I need to do.  I was unaware that there were benefits for intermittent time off.  I even said to my principal when he suggested this, "Are you suggesting that I KNOW when my bi-polar child will have an episode?"  It was then he acqueisced and advised that he did not know how the program worked.  I REALLY appreciate this!  I will get on it this week!
lynnc99
on 5/24/11 11:23 am
Take your union rep with you for any future meetings with the principal that are even remotely hinting at disciplinary action.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views